Thursday 24 February 2011

Something to think over

My friend David-presents over at DeviantArt has this thing called the drabble - 100 words in which to tell a story, or hint at one. Well, below are six 100 word extracts from tales to appear in the next few weeks.

The Irish in Her

Coleen sat perfectly still, unsure of what else she could do to try and raise the alarm. Outside, she could hear the sound of the bands as the parade went down the street outside her window, but she had no way of shouting above the music. The green bandana that had been so carefully stuffed into her mouth prevented that, as did the clear tape covering her lips.

In desperation, she saw the shillelagh that lay on the floor where the intruder had knocked it off the wall, the closed window a target in her sights as she grasped it.




Flatmates

Ella and Sam looked at each other, Ella's eyes raised as the two men ransacked the room. Both were bound and tape gagged, and were hoping against hope the men would go before Cathy came in. They could hear thumping from a room, but thought that was the third man searching their bedroom.

"Waiting for your friend are you?" they heard him say, and looked round to see him standing in the doorway. "Hoping we'll go and she can rescue you?" He smiled as he motioned to one of the others. "Help me to carry her in," he said.



Return to the Cat-Walk.

She looked like Twiggy – hair straight and tight on her scalp, then falling in ringlets around her face. A patchwork brown short sleeved top, and brown suede hot pants so tight the only movement in them was that of her bottom. Knee length brown suede boots enclosing her legs like skin tight socks.

As I pulled her wrists through the back of the chair and started to tie them together, however, she must have wished she was Twiggy – then she would have been in New York, not her flat as I robbed her. She said nothing as she sat there.



Jayes and the Sure Thing

"If I may remark, Sir, I would not invest in Billy Bob – the going is not conducive to his temperament."

I looked at the tall cove and nodded. When it came to the racing fraternity, Jayes had what you might call the "ear of the expert". "Very well, Jayes," I said with a light flourish, "I will take your advice. Now prepare the outfit for the Derby Ball."

"Which outfit would that be, Sir?"

"Both of them, Jayes," I said as I looked at my trusty man, "Both of them." He nodded as he turned, gliding out as he does.



The Return Home

"What happened? We lost touch with you in 1942 – and now here you are? We thought you were dead."

"You were meant to believe that, Andrea, and I am truly, truly sorry that this has happened. I had a mission to perform, and now there are those who may wish to ask me why I did not do it. Please forgive me for this."

"You don't have to do this, Andrea, I mpphgfggh." Mary shook her head to try and force the rolled up headscarf from her mouth, but Andrea was too strong. Mary could only stare as she left.



Mallrats

CJ was struggling like mad as the masked man placed her in a hogtie. "You should learn to know that when a shop is shut, it's shut," he said as his female companion emptied the tills into a small bag. CJ had only come in for a can of coke and a pack of chewing gum, and now she had two dilemmas.

First, how could she free herself and the two female assistants, and raise the alarm with the police?

Second, how could she stop her friends from walking into the same trap?

That, and there was no gum left.

Read, consider, then vote in the poll as to which one intrigues you the most. I'll take it from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment